CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1372682
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372682.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:11:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
South Walsham
National Grid Reference:
TG 36534 13253

Details

TG 31 SE SOUTH WALSHAM THE STREET (north side)

5/58 Church of St. Mary. 25.9.62.

G.V. I

Parish church. C14 and C15 with some C19 restoration. Flint with limestone dressings. Slate roofs over nave and chancel, lead roofs over aisles and porch. Crested ridge tiles over nave. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, south aisle, south porch.C15 knapped flint west tower with diagonal buttresses to west. Stone-faced plinth. Square traceried sound holes with label moulds. 2-light Decorated bell openings - tracery missing on west and south sides. Three-light Perpendicular west window, much renewed, above west doorway. Polygonal stair turret at north-east corner, with pierced stone vents. Good C15 south porch with parvis over : flushwork panels and diagonal buttresses to south gable. Entrance arch has finely carved spandrels depicting the Annunciation. Small niche above with figure group, flanked by two windows, all under square label moulds. South aisle has two 2-light Decorated and two 3-light Perpendicular windows; central staged buttress of brick and stone. Five widely-spaced 2-light clerestorey windows. South side of chancel has low side window with cusped arch under a square label; two 2-light Decorated windows with staged buttress between. Priest's door to east side of buttress. 3-light reticulated east window, much restored. Slate memorial tablet to John Mitchells (+1776) and wife (+1778). 2-light 'Y'-traceried windows in North wall of chancel. North clerestorey to nave with details as south side. North doorway with continuous double chamfered arch. Two early stone coffin lids form steps down into nave from south porch. Roofs all renewed in C19. 5 bay north and south arcades : double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Chancel arch of similar date. Rood stair on north side of chancel arch. Double aumbry at north-east corner of north aisle, C15. Square headed screen, with painted panels and inscription commemorating manumission of donor, John Galt, in 1437. Screen retains its original doors, to sanctuary. Traces of wall painting continuing screen design to south. Stone coffin lid with cross set in floor to west of screen. Stone slab set in south east corner of chancel said to originate from the altar tomb of Richard de S. Walsham, Abbott of St. Benets (+1439). Dropped-cill sedilia on south side of chancel. Tall niche in north east corner of chancel, probably a banner staff locker. Monument to Rev. William Beevor (+1718) removed from church of St. Lawrence 1960. Font late C14 octagonal with traceried bowl and massive stem with four shafts. Podium contains medieval tiles. Good set of nave benches with poppyheads and carved borders.

Listing NGR: TG3653413253

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228506
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01066/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W.E. Butland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].