CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1372723
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372723.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:42:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Oulton
National Grid Reference:
TG 13654 28460

Details

TG 12 NW OULTON CHURCH LANE

3/60 Church of St Peter 10-5-61 and St Paul

- II*

Parish church. Fabric mostly C15. Flint with limestone dressings. Main roofs lead-covered, porch plaintiled. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel. Square west tower set slightly south of main church axis; diagonal staged buttresses up to bell stage. C15 2-light west window. 2-light traceried bell-openings. Small window with cusped head below south bell opening. South porch with hollow-chamfered arch on polygonal corbels, defaced headstops. Continuous quadrant mould to outer arch and jambs. Large arched openings in north and south nave walls, marking position of former chapels; openings now infilled with Y-tracery. 2-light square-headed window at south-east corner of nave, tracery infilled with rendered brick. Chancel has north and south 2-light square headed cross-windows with cusped heads to lights, hollow- chamfered mullions and transoms. North-east window blocked with rendered brickwork. Priest's door on south side with cusped and sub-cusped arch, square dripmould, flowers and foliage decoration in spandrels. Diagonal buttresses to east gable with flushwork panels with cusped and crocketted heads. C15 3-light east window. Crudely-built projection at north-east corner of nave, probably to accommodate rood stair. North-east nave window blocked in brick, partly rendered. Staged buttresses with flushwork panels flanking north chapel opening. North doorway blocked in flint. Square-headed 2-light west window to nave with four quatrefoils above ogee-headed lights. Interior: nave roof has arch-braced principals with wallposts to alternative trusses. Roll-moulded purlins and ridge; ridge-pendants with carved bosses. Moulded cornice. Waggon-boarded ceiling to chancel. Piscina in south wall of chancel with cinquefoil head and carved spandrels, petalled bowl. C18 memorial slabs in nave and chancel floor; two memorial brasses, one to Edmund and Katherine Bell (d.1636). Wall monuments in north-east corner of nave to Thomas Bell (d.1755), Coulson Bell (d,1800), Oval tablet to Richard Ladell (d.1802) and others, above north doorway. Wall painting - a fragment depicting a fish, adjoining jamb of north doorway. Hexagonal panelled pulpit on stem, C17. Plain octagonal font bowl on later base.

Listing NGR: TG1365428460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228719
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11943/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].