CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1372730
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372730.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:38:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Upton with Fishley
National Grid Reference:
TG 39310 12168

Details

UPTON WITH FISHLEY CHURCH ROAD TG 31 SE 1/82 Church of St. 25.9.62 Margaret I Parish church. C14 and C15 restored 1885 by A.S.Hewitt; tower restored 1928- 9. Flint and brick with limestone dressings. Nave and south porch roofs slated, chancel and aisles lead. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles south porch. Plain square west tower, rebuilt 1928, with short pilaster buttresses to first stage only. Louvred two-light bell openings with arched transom and'Y' tracery Honeycomb brick sound openings on north and south. West window in brick surround with brick-headed lancet above. South porch with gable cross. Stooled niche with restored head above doorway. 2-light east and west windows. North and south windows 3-light Perpendicular with staged buttresses dividing bays. Arches with brick and flint voussoirs. Four- bay clerestorey to nave with 2-light windows with square heads and labels. East window of south aisle flanked by wall monument to John Cater +1781. Priest's door in south wall of chancel. Five light Perpendicular east window. Walling of north aisle contains brick and limestone blocks, some worked and re-used. Nave roof has castellated tie beams with arch-braces onto wall posts. Arch-braced principal rafters. Alternate wall posts cut to accommodate clerestorey. Four-bay arcades : piers with four shafts with fillet between; arches with filleted hollow camfer. Painted consecration cross on north side of chancel arch. C15 screen base with eight painted figure panels and remains of inscription on middle rail. Piscina with traceried heads in north and south aisles. Painted consecration cross in south aisle. A re-used Romanesque capital in stoup by south door. Fine C14 octagonal font set on a stepped podium, the upper level having a quatrefoil frieze with lions carved at the corners. The stem carved with eight figures, the bowl with angels and the signs of the Evangelists.

Listing NGR: TG3931012168

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228659
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01066/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W.E. Butland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].