CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1372796
Date first listed:
26-Feb-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ALL SAINTS, HARWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372796.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:05:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ALL SAINTS, HARWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Norwich (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 23354 06088

Details

TG 20 NW HARVOOD ROAD, LAKENHAM (North West side) 4/374 26.2.54 Church of St. John and All Saints (Formerly listed under Sandy Lane) - II* Parish Church. C13 with C15 tower. South aisle, 1825: chancel rebuilt C1864 by J. Brown. Flint rubble with stone dressings, mostly rendered. South aisle, red brick; pantiled roof. Nave and chancel in one; west tower; south aisle and north vestry. Two 2-light north nave windows with 4-centred heads; east window with intersecting tracery; three 3-light windows with flat heads and drip moulds in south aisle, Diagonal chancel buttresses and 3 brick buttresses on north nave wall. Unbuttressed 3-stage tower has 2-light belfry windows, gargoyles and crenellated parapet. Interior (entered through south aisle); C19 wooden south arcade; plank north door to later vestry, arch braced roof with roll mouldings on purlins and principal rafters; moulded wall plate below rendered ashlar posts. C14 octagonal font; monument to William Crowe (d.1779) on north chancel wall. Gable of north vestry has tablet: HJ/TK/1824.

Listing NGR: TG2335406088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
229131
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/07980/37
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].