THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1372879
Date first listed:
05-May-1952
Statutory Address:
THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE, 70, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372879 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 13:48:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE, 70, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Stockton-on-Tees (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Yarm
National Grid Reference:
NZ 41905 12899

Details

NZ 4112 NE YARM HIGH STREET (East side) 37/602 No 70 (The George and 5.5.52 Dragon Public House)

GV II

Early-mid C18. Walls now roughcast. Deep moulded and dentilled eaves cornice below pantiled roof of pronounced sweep with end chimneys. Three storeys, two windows. All early C19 tripartite sash windows with glazing bare, one replaced. At right, a yard entrance under flattened elliptical arch. Plaque on wall: "On 12th February 1820 was held the promoters' meeting of the Stockton and Darlington Railway, the first public railway in the world." Local blue plaque says the George and Dragon was once a market inn and coaching house with stables.

Listing NGR: NZ4190512899

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
59577
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00567/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A G Scott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].