CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1372945
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372945.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:12:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Buxton with Lammas
National Grid Reference:
TG 24528 23217

Details

TG 22 SW BUXTON WITH LAMMAS THE STREET, LAMMAS (north side) 6/29 10/5/61 Church of St. Andrew.

II*

Parish church. Some fabric remaining of C15, but extensively rebuilt in late C19. Flint with limestone dressings, plain-tiled roofs with crested ridges. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. Chancel has a pronounced "weep" to the north. Slender C15 west tower with staged angle buttresses below bell stage. Bell openings with cusped 'Y' tracery. Embattled parapet. Tower west window renewed, probably in C19 restoration. South porch rebuilt c.1880. Three Perpendicular windows to eave nave facade; bays divided by set off buttresses with flushwork panels. Chancel entirely rebuilt late C19, but incorporating some old material. Tower and chancel arches early C15. C19 scissor-braced roofs. C16 octagonal font with alternating panels of shields and roses. Fragment of old heraldic glass in south east chancel window. Piscina with foiled head. Scratch dial on south-east buttress of nave. Memorial tablet 1741 to the sons of Henry and Alice Utting on south wall of chancel.

Listing NGR: TG2452823217

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227989
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05267/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].