CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1372950
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372950.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:57:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Brampton
National Grid Reference:
TG 21973 24610

Details

TG 22 SW BRAMPTON BRAMPTON

6/2 Church of St. Peter 10/5/61 II*

Parish Church. Flint with limestone dressings, slate roofs. C12 round west tower with C15 brick octagonal top, nave and former south aisle incorporated under one roof, chancel and south porch. Octagonal tower stage has limestone quoins and embattled parapet; two-light sound openings. Two-light west window in tower base C16. Angle buttress to south-west corner. South porch with parapeted gable and angle buttresses. Quatrefoiled opening over south doorway. C19 south door into nave with good C15 tracery applied to its face. Late C14 south window in former south aisle (now part of nave). Arched opening to former chapel (now demolished) partly infilled; two-light window with 'Y' tracery. C19 vestry on south side of chancel. Chancel windows with 'Y' and intersecting tracery. Angle buttresses at east wall. Interior: good monument on south wall - cartouche to Margaret Beevor (1716). Brasses in chancel to Edward and John Brampton (died 1622), Robert Brampton (died 1468) and his wife, and to John Brampton (died 1535) and his two wives. Cl9 roofs with king posts (nave) and arch-braced collars. Octagonal font with shields set in quatrefoils.

Listing NGR: TG2197324610

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227963
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05267/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].