CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1373413
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373413.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:49:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Catfield
National Grid Reference:
TG 38178 21245

Details

CATFIELD HALL ROAD TG 32 SE (south side) 3/33 Church of All Saints 16.4.55 - I

Parish church. C14 west tower. Late C14 nave and aisles. C15 chancel, reputedly built by John Walter, rector, 1460-71. Numerous C19 restoration campaigns. Tower restored 1973. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 3 stage tower with diagonal western buttresses. 2-light west window. Lancets to ringing chamber. Set-off to belfry stage. 2-light Y tracery belfry windows below crenellated parapet. Aisles supported by diagonal corner buttresses and stepped side buttresses. West windows are of 3 lights above string course : lights cusped and ogeed supporting 4 lobed petal motif set vertically, also cusped. This design is of the Norwich-Ely group, derived originally from Lincolnshire and popular 1340-1350. East aisle windows also of 3 cusped ogee lights with sub-arches and rising supermullions containing 2 tracery panels. This design popular 1380-1420. Aisle side windows alternate between these types demonstrating the degree of Decorated and Perpendicular overlap. String course continuous below windows. 2 storey gabled south porch supported by diagonal buttresses, the second storey a later addition. Stilted entrance arch below restored statuary niche. 2-light ogeed side windows under square hood. Parvis lit by square-headed windows. Crenellated east and west parapets of brick. Inner south door double wave moulded with wave moulded hood on head stops. Fleuron decoration in voussoirs. No clerestory but nave walls of knapped flint in this position. 2 3-light Perpendicular south chancel windows of same design as aisles. Stepped side buttresses and diagonal east buttresses. Priests' door. One similar north window, the other blocked. 3-light C19 east window with timber tracery. Arched north nave doorway under square hood, the spandrels with tracery. Interior 5 bay octagonal arcade on C14 moulded polygonal bases. Moulded polygonal capitals with fleuron studs. Double hollow chamfered arches. Scissor braced nave roof of 1864. Chamfered tower arch with polygonal responds, bases and capitals. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch, also with polygonal responds, bases and capitals. Pitched aisle roofs of 1913 re-using C14 principals (hollow chamfered) and arched braces. Aisle windows have wave moulded rere arches. C15 octagonal font with tracery patterns against stem and fleurons and punched quatrefoils to bowl below crenellations. Tower screen dated 1605 in form of door with arcaded panels flanked by C19 pine panelling. Brick staircase to parvis over porch in south aisle leads through high 4-centred doorway. Upper parvis door C15, with roll moulded surround. Porch roof pitched with multiply roll moulded ridge piece and principals. C15 chancel screen of 2 double bays left and right of 4- centred opening. Perpendicular tracery heads revolve round large ogees. Dado with 2 light tracery divisions painted with figures of 15 canonised Kings and one Queen. Chancel with 3 giant wall arches. Roof of 1879 : principals, buttpurlins and fleuron bosses.

Listing NGR: TG3817821245

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224364
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03007/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].