Church of St. Margaret


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Margaret, Bacton Road, Paston, NR28 9TA


Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Margaret
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373419.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:57:42.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Margaret, Bacton Road, Paston, NR28 9TA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 32282 34435


TG 33 SV 4/79

PASTON BACTON ROAD Church of St. Margaret



Parish church. C14, restored 1601, 1843 and 1869. Quaternary flint and chert with Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar dressings. Thatched nave and slate roofed chancel.

West tower. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses to ringing chamber, each stage set-off. Two-light cusped Y tracery west window under hood on labels. Square cusped ringing chamber windows, that to west C19. Two-light Y tracery belfry windows below crenellated parapet. Stairs to south-east. Nave buttresses stepped and diagonal at corners. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. Wave moulded round arch below trefoiled statuary niche. Two-light Perpendicular side lights. Multiply wave moulded inner south door. Arched north door. Three arched nave windows north and south of two or three lights and cusped intersecting tracery, all restored or renewed C19. Rood stairs to south east nave. South chancel illuminated through C19 triple stepped lancet under single hood mould to west and two-light divergent mouchette window to east. Arched priests' door. Diagonal east buttresses and four-light cusped intersecting east window. North chancel with one two-light mouchette window and one blocked two-light Y tracery window. Eaves of chancel raised in brick on north side.

Interior. Chamfered tower arch and double chamfered chancel arch. Scissor braced C14 nave roof with collars and boarded ashlaring. Octagonal late C14 font with ogee traceried stem panels and two-light mouchette tracery in bowl panels. Late C14 wall paintings on north wall. To west St. Christopher carrying Christ, further east the morality The Three Living and The Three Dead. C15 reading desk with poppyheads and two traceried panels. Heavily restored screen, originally C15. Four bays right and left of arched cusped opening. Two-light tracery dados and upper tracery panelling below top rail. Monument in chancel to Dame Katherine Paston 1629, by Nicholas Stone. Alabaster. Double arches supported on Corinthian columns below pediment with drapery swags. Reclining figures upon pediment flank achievement. On tomb chest white marble reclining effigy of Katherine Paston. To west monument to Edward Paston 1632 by Nicholas Stone. Stone and black marble. Plain urn stands on square plinth within an aedicule of Tuscan columns with block entablatures. Above is segmental open pediment. Ceiling of aedicule coved and coffered. Enclosing both monuments are iron railings 1632: irontwist verticals terminating above top rail in ball and steeple finials, each finial with four wreathed scrolls. Square section uprights end in spiked finials above top rail. C13 sedilia in chancel with three arched and roll moulded openings. Trefoiled angle piscina to left. Boarded chancel roof. Painted Royal Arms to William IV 1831 over tower arch.

Listing NGR: TG3228234435


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 21 February 2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/08987/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].