Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373426.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:04:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 32330 33151


BACTON EDINGTHORPE TG 33 SW CHURCH LANE (east side) 4/17 Church of All Saints 16.4.55 - I

Parish church. C12 west tower, C12 nave remodelled C14, chancel C14, remodelled C19. Flint with ashlar dressings. Thatched nave roof, pantiles to chancel. 3 stage circular tower. Cusped lancet to west below square hood on labels. Brick lancets to ringing chamber below late C14 octagonal belfry stage (bequest to tower 1375). Belfry windows of 2 lights with mouchettes below square hoods on labels. Brick quoins and brick repairs to window mullions. Nave with diagonal corner buttresses, stepped buttresses to flanks. Gabled south porch supported by diagonal buttresses. Double chamfered arch on circular responds below arched statuary niche. Brick parapet on kneelers. Wave moulded inner doorway with hood mould on head stops (eastern head stop missing). C14 timber door of overlapping wave and hollow moulded planks. Porch with blocked side lancets. 3 south nave windows : one 2-light Y tracery window, 2-light reticulated and 3-light ogee window below depressed arch. One 2-light cusped chancel south window. Diagonal chancel east buttresses flank 3-light reticulated east window. Gable head C19 brick. No north chancel windows. 3 reticulated north nave windows of 2 or 3 lights below 4-centred arches with hood moulds on labels. Late C12 north door with chamfered jambs and arch on square imposts. The arch is pointed. Interior. Double chamfered tower arch with hood mould. C19 boarded roof with original tie beams and ashlaring. C14 octagonal font with panelled stem in form of 2 tall trefoiled arches each face. Bowl decorated by encircled quatrefoils. Nave north wall painted c.1400. To west St. Christopher, to east the Seven Works of Mercy, each scene depicted intertwined with branches of a tree (from Matthew 25.35). Arched rood screen door in north wall below cusped and sub- cusped statuary niche. Niche, pedestal and surround painted with fleurons. Mid C14 chancel screen of 4 bays right and left of ogee opening, the dado divided into 3 bays each with a painted saint below painted tracery arch (Saints from left to right : St. Bartholemew, St. Andrew, St. Peter, St. Paul, St. Barbara, St. James). Pierced tracery head of screen supported on circular muntins. Central ogeed arch with spandrels filled by pointed stars in wheels. Moulded top rail. Cusped piscina in south nave wall. Panelled reading desk dated 1587. Panelled pulpit dated 1632 with scrolled brackets rising from octagonal stem. C19 King post chancel roof. 11 C16 poppyhead bench ends remain.

Listing NGR: TG3233033151


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/08987/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].