CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1373464
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373464.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:46:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wickmere
National Grid Reference:
TG 16571 33760

Details

In the entry for the following:

TG 13 SE WICKMERE

5/74 Church of St Andrew 4:10:60 II*

The building shall be upgraded to Grade I.

------------------------------------

TG 13 SE WICKMERE

5/74 Church of St.Andrew 4:10:60 II*

Parish church. Medieval. Flint, iron bound conglomerate, stone dressings. Pantile, lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel. Embattled round tower of conglomerate laid in-herring- bone pattern to lower part then flint above. West window C14 Decorated of 2 lights; slit light with brick reveals above. 2-light C14 Decorated bell-openings with quatrefoils. Gargoyles. Flushwork to battlements. Quadrant buttress at south angle with nave. To north a brick stair turret. 3 bay nave, with conglomerate in west wall. South aisle east and west windows C16, 3 lights under segmental arches. Diagonal buttress. Buttress with brick repairs. Conglomerate in wall. 2 restored C14 2-light windows. Memorial tablet of 1719 to east face in form of cartouche with angels to top, a husked garland, then console base. Lead roof. Buttressed north aisle, ('making of north aisle' mentioned in will of 1535) has blocked door with 2 hollow chamfered orders and a hood mould. 2 2-light medieval windows under 4 centred arches. East window of aisle restored but same form as south aisle east window. West window of 3 lights, restored. Lead roof. Clerestorey of 4 bays in squared knapped flint with stone crosses between openings. Alternating encircled quatrefoils and 2-light ogee headed windows both in square openings under hood moulds. Pantiled roof. Buttressed chancel with diagonal buttresses. South has 2 C19 Decorated 2-light windows; priest's door. Conglomerate in all chancel walls. North chancel has doorway and one 2-light C19 Decorated window. C19 east window of 3- lights. Porch to first nave bay with flushwork front, shafts with polygonal abaci to doorway, figure stops, shields in spandrels. Niche over. Square headed east and west windows of 2 cusped lights. Arch-braced-roof; door with medieval iron ring and hinges. Stoop to right. Interior. 3 bay aracade with octagonal piers, bases and abaci; 2 chamfered orders to arch. South aisle roof early C17 with straight braces and wall posts on corbels. North aisle roof dated 1592 on wall post has straight braces and rose bosses. Nave has C19 king-post roof. Corbels with heads for earlier roof. C19 chancel arch. Chancel has C19 crown post roof. Much restored piscina and sedilia with cusped ogee arches and shields, tracery and rosettes in the spandrels. Memorial tomb to William Dix and wife with kneeling figures. Ionic columns, strapwork around coat of arms, panels with raised shields. 4 Walpole hatchments. Re-used poppy head bench ends. Door to rood stair. Restored rood screen. Re-used medieval painted panel in pulpit. Chest tomb to Margaret and Thomas Twiddle of 1729 in south aisle. Cusped piscina. Marble memorial cartouche to Henrici Spelman died 1698 with achievement and skull to base. In north aisle a tomb to fifth Earl of Orford dated 1931 with reclining figure and angels by Esmond Burton. In wall a corbel of image tabernacle with angels and lion. C19 font.

Listing NGR: TG1657133760

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224521
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05465/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].