Church of St. Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373470
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Aldborough

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373470.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:51:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Aldborough

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Aldborough
National Grid Reference:
TG 17909 33810

Details

TG 13 SE 5/7

ALDBOROUGH Church of St. Mary

4.10.60

II*

Parish church. Medieval. Flint, ironbound conglomerate, with stone (Lincolnshire Limestone) and brick dressings. Slate roof. Nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel.

West wall with wooden bell-cote of 1906; tower fell in C18, traces of base remain. Conglomerate quoins to south west and north west corners of nave. Buttressed nave of three bays; two two-light C19 cusped windows to south in rubble and conglomerate wall. Conglomerate quoins of earlier church in third bay. North aisle wall much rebuilt in 1847 with brick-dressed buttresses and two two-light C19 windows. Chancel with priests door to south. Angle buttresses. Two-light C19 window. East window C19 three-light Perpendicular. Buttressed south porch of knapped flint to first nave bay. Doorway with attached shaft and hollows. Nave doorway has hood mould and rib-vaulted niche over with canopy.

Interior. Low north arcade formed by cutting through earlier wall. C19 roofs. C19 chancel arch. Top of rood stair over eastern nave pier. Piscina. Octagonal font. Graded II* for survival of early church plan.

Listing NGR: TG1790933810

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224455
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 14 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12721/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Warwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].