CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1373493
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373493.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 23:05:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Southrepps
National Grid Reference:
TG 25679 36794

Details

TG 2536 SOUTHREPPS CHURCH STREET

11/44 Church of St. James 4:10:60

G.V. I

Parish church. Medieval. Flint with stone dressings. Graded slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. Embattled tower of 4 stages with setback buttresses (its 'emendation' mentioned in wills from 1431-1467) Flushwork to buttresses with embattled tracery. Flushwork basecourse with wavy frieze above with shells and blank shields. West doorway with paired shafts having polygonal abaci and bases with a continuous inner order and continuous order between the shafts; arch with rolls with hollows between; encircled cusped quatrefoils with shields in the spandrels. Doorway flanked by niches with shafts supporting a rib-vaulted canopy; wavy frieze over with shells and shields. Tall 6-light west window with panel tracery; alternate stone and flint voussoirs; hood mould continuing to form string course. Stair turret to north-west corner with cross and slit lights. Square ringing chamber openings with rows of panel tracery forming a reticulated grid. 3-light transomed bell-openings with panel tracery. Buttressed nave of 4 bays was previously aisled (aisles demolished 1791); line of aisle roofs visible on east face of tower. Walls now C19 with 3 C19 Decorated 3-light windows to south. To the north central C19 chimney, Y-tracery window; some C19 brick to buttresses. Rood stair at angle of nave and chancel supported on a 2-centred chamfered arch with brick above. Buttressed chancel of 3 bays with angle buttresses to the eastern corners. To the south 3 3-light restored windows with cusped reticulated tracery that to the centre bay with higher sill to accommodate priest's door; sill band with figures to centre bay; doorway with 2 continuous hollow chamfers with a roll between; hood mould with figures stops. 6 light C19 Decorated east window. South porch possibly moved after demolition of aisles incorporates Medieval archway, restored, with shafts with polygonal abaci and a continuous outer order. Blocked lights in east and north walls. C19 nave doorway. Interior. Tall tower arch with pair shafts with polygonal bases and abaci, with a continuous roll moulding between the shafts and an outer continuous roll moulding. Tower buttresses visible inside. C14 nave arcades of 4 bays still in place; octagonal piers, bases and abaci; 2 hollow chamfered orders to arch; hood moulds with figure stops. C19 roof. Polygonal shafts and abaci to chancel arch. Rere-arches of chancel windows have thin shafts with foliated capitals; hood moulds with figure stops. The east rere-arch is restored with foliated stops. l½ ogee arches of piscina and sedilia, cut by window. Sill band with figures over priest's door. Rere-arch has 5 orders of roll and fillet moulding with deeply cut hollows, hood with figure stops. North door C19. C14 glass in small south windows. Good C19 roof with arched wind-braces and crown posts on C19 foliated corbels. Remains off rood stair. Medieval screen- with restored upper parts. Reset marble monument in north nave wall to Jane Barton d.1726 and William Barton d.1740 with Corinthian pilasters, an arched head with cherubs; foliated apron with cherub's head. Painted arms of George III. Restored octagonal font with quatrefoils to bowl.

Listing NGR: TG2567936794

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224706
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/08987/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].