CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1373531
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373531.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:56:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Sidestrand
National Grid Reference:
TG 25959 39716

Details

TG 23 NE SIDESTRAND

4/37 Church of St.Michael 4.10.60 II

Parish church. Medieval fabric moved inland in 1880 to present site. Flint with stone dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north vestry, south porch. Embattled round tower of three stages, the top two stages being octagonal; built in 1881 as a copy of the medieval tower which has subsequently fallen into the sea. Nave of 2 bays; to the south 2 2-light Perpendicular windows; to the north one 3-light and one 2-light Perpendicular window. C19 vestry to first bay. Chancel of 2 bays with one C19 Y-tracery window and one C19 2 light window with a triangular head to the south; to the north a restored Y-tracery window. C19 east window of 3 lights. Porch to first nave bay has single cusped lights to east and west. Doorway with polygonal shafts, abaci and bases; chamfered arch; outer continuous order; hood mould. Restored nave doorway with continuous chamfer merging into arch with rolls. Niche over with statue of angel with chalice. Interior. Piscina in south nave wall. Ogee-arched piscina, drop-seat sedilia in chancel. C15 octagonal font. Stone cross in south east nave wall with 'Orate p aia Willi Atte wod' inscribed. Jacobean panelling of 1911 in chancel. Royal arms of George IV after Irish Union. War memorial using Renaissance niche bought in antique shop and adapted by Seely and Paget. East window designed by Henry Holiday and made by Powell (Whitefriars Glass works) in 1880's.

Listing NGR: TG2595939716

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224699
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/55624

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/12665/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].