CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373647
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373647.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:57:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Matlask
National Grid Reference:
TG 15069 37150

Details

GRESHAM NORTH BARNINGHAM TG 13 NE 5/31 Church of St.Peter 4:10:60 II* Parish church. Redundant. Medieval. Flint and iron-bound conglomerate with brick dressings. Tile and slate roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, north porch and chancel. 2-stage embattled tower with diagonal buttresses to west. 3-light west window with transom; cusped lights; panel tracery; hood mould. Slit light to west with cusped head. 2-light bell-openings with quatrefoils in head; obelisk, finials to battlements. Buttressed nave with brick-dressed buttresses to south on larger flint rubble bases. Some conglomerate to south west quoins and in south nave walling to top of buttresses; raised eaves. South doorway with continuous chamfer; hood mould. Largely post-medieval 3-light window with curious intersecting tracery; hood mould. Conglomerate quoins of earlier nave then 2-light square headed window with panel tracery under hood mould. 3 bay aisle to north with brick buttresses. Y-tracery window. Similar window to west. Eastern window to aisle of 2 lights, square-headed with panel tracery, partly restored; hood mould. Unbuttressed chancel of 2 bays. To south 2 square- headed 2-light windows, one with panel tracery, one with ogee-headed lights, both under hood moulds. No openings now to north but possibly one blocked light. Roof raised. East window of 3 cusped lights, the mullions rising to the head of the arch; under hood mould. North porch to first nave bay; archway restored in 1895 with continuous chamfer; hood mould, niche over. Nave doorway with continuous roll moulding; hood mould with foliated tops. Interior. Nave arcade with octagonal shafts, abaci and bases; 2 chamfered orders to arch. Niche with hood mould beside south door. Nave and north aisle re-roofed in 1893. Curious rere-arch to south nave window. Tower arch with polygonal shafts but these are moulded to the nave; polygonal bases and capitals. Damaged Decorated piscina and drop-sill sedilia. Some re-used poppy-head bench ends. Inset in nave floor a 'rose window' pattern in stone and brick. Brass in floor of north aisle to Henry Pagrave d.1516 and wife. Marble wall monument in chancel to Margaret Pope d.1621 with angels holding back curtain of baldachino under which she kneels; curving super-structure with segmental pediment topped by urn. Tomb chest monument to John Palgrave d.1611; shields to chest; three small allegorical figures topped by inscription; strapwork shoulders to architrave; plain cornice. Marble monument to Sir Austin Palgrave d.1639 and wife. Base with inscription topped by grey marble Tuscan columns supporting an almost semicircular broken pediment; foliated scrolled shouldered architrave; this all encloses two oval niches with lions-head at the cardinal points with busts of Sir Austin and wife. Achievement over. C17 altar rail.

Listing NGR: TG1506937150

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
223271
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06259/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E. Downs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].