CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373673
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373673.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:36:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Barsham
National Grid Reference:
TF 90484 33674

Details

TF 93 SW BARSHAM WEST BARSHAM 6/26 Church of the 6.3.59 Assumption

II*

Parish church. Flint walls with stone dressings and red pantiled roof. C11 or C12 nave, C20 south porch, and early C14 chancel. C11 or C12 splayed round windows in nave north wall and over the chancel arch a triangular headed door; the existing chancel is perhaps an extension of an C11 or C12 sanctuary tower. Norman north door and nave south window; Norman south door framed by C13 early English arched surround with shafts, shaft-rings, leaf capitals keel roll and zigzag mouldings. Nave of 2 bays with one curvilinear north and south window and "Y" tracery west window. Chancel with "Y" tracery south window and 3-light intersected tracery east window. Interior restored c1938, including new chancel arch and chancel roof; C19 tie beam roof to nave. C18 font on stem. Nave and chancel benches 1954 by Margaret Tarrent. East window Ward and Hughes 1893.



Listing NGR: TF9048433674

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
223521
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/06557/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Johnston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].