CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1373814
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH PLAIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373814.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:57:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH PLAIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Worstead
National Grid Reference:
TG 30200 26059

Details

WORSTEAD CHURCH PLAIN TG 3026 9/48 Church of St.Mary 16:4:55

- I

Parish church. Medieval. Flint and stone, lead roof. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, vestry. 4 stage embattled west tower of flint; setback buttresses. Flushwork basecourse of cusped arches; stone frieze above of quatrefoil relief, then cusped intersecting blind arcade of flushwork. West door with encircled quatrefoil roundels in the spandrels, niches to each side; castellated label forms sill to west window of 4 lights, Decorated, mostly C19. Square lights with tracery to ringing chamber, hood mould over; clock now to east face. 2-light windows with panel tracery to bell-openings, ballflowers in one order; continuous hood mould. Stone battlements with quatrefoil and cusped arches in relief. Gargoyles. Buttressed nave of 5 bays; basecourse pattern repeated as tower; 3-light windows with panel tracery; angle buttresses with flushwork. Flushwork parapet. North doorway with traceried spandrels. Exterior rood stair to north with flushwork. Clerestorey of 2 3-light windows under 4-centred arches to each bay. Flying buttresses to 2 easternmost bays. Sixth aisle bays form chapels. East window of south chapel with 4-centred arch. Chancel of 2 bays without decorative base as nave and tower; window, C19, of 3 lights. 5-light east window with reticulated tracery; brick voussoirs. Buttressed vestry of 2 storeys to east end of north aisle chapel. Flushwork base, single light windows to ground floor; 3-light window under 4-centred arch to east. South porch of 2 storeys to second nave bay. South west stair turret, stonework much repaired. Flushwork to south face and angle buttresses. Tierceron star vault to ground floor; doorway to nave with fleurons in 2 orders of jamb and arch. Interior. C14 nave arcades with octagonal piers and hollow-chamfered arches. Angel corbels with shields to hammerbeam roof with tracery in the spandrels, much restored in 1899. Line of previous roof visible above tower arch. Aisles with arch-braced roofs with tracery in the spandrels. West tower arch of clustered shafts with hollows. Octagonal shafts to chancel arch. Chancel with arch-braced roof. Stone altar, reredos and altar rails all added in 1840's. Figure brass of 1391. Rood screen dated 1512, upper parts much restored. Rood beam removed in 1809. Screens to chapels much restored. Tower screen dated 1501, with lower parts repainted in 1831. Screen supports ringers gallery. Font on 3 steps, panelled stem; octagonal bowl with cusped quatrefoils, supported on angels. Board over south nave door recording the benefaction of the Rev. Henry Wharton which funded the re-pewing in 1736. Box pews in nave with high back walls and quadrant pilasters at the corners.

Listing NGR: TG3020026059

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224194
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03717/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].