CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373820
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373820.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 20:57:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Thornage
National Grid Reference:
TG 04987 36210

Details

THORNAGE THE STREET, TG 03 NW (West side) 1/121 Church of All Saints 4.10.60. II*

Parish church, Cll and later. Restored 1898. Flint under plain tiles. Tower, nave and chancel in one, north porch, south-west addition. Unbuttressed west tower in 3 stages. Galletted knapped flint with stone dressings. Embattled parapet with string course. 4 C19 crocketted pinnacles. South-west stair turret with small blocked brick archway at base. West window of 2 lights, panel tracery under hood mould; single cusp headed slit above. Cusped bell openings. North-west nave quoin with some long and short work in stone. North porch: roof restored 1900, wide 4-centred treble chamfered arch. Ogee headed niche above. 2 narrow headed return openings. North doorway of 2-centred arch with continuous double hollow chamfered mouldings under deep roll hood mould. Stoup recess to left. Ledged and battened door with wooden lock and latticed bracing to rear. North facade: one nave window of 3 segmental headed lights under a square head; 2 Cll double splayed small round headed windows above porch and to north chancel, the arches containing radiating thin bricks. Chancel with brick eaves dentil cornice. East window of 3 irregular pointed lights. South facade. Galletted coursed flint; Chancel set back c15m, 2 windows of 2 lights, one Decorated, one under segmental arch renewed; 2 nave windows of 2 and 3 segmental headed lights without tracery, ovolo moulded mullions, hollow chamfered surrounds. Gabled single storey south-west extension in pebble flint with stone dressings under pantile roof. Cross on gable apex. Wide 2 light window with square head. Memorial plaque to 1914-18 war dead. Interior: nave: C19 boarded roof with ties and collars. 2 bay south arcade now blocked; octagonal piers and caps, moulded equilateral arches. Tall tower arch with pointed segmental head. Octagonal stone font with moulded base on octagonal stem. Tortoise stone c1900 in north-west nave. Marble slab under tower with indent for kneeling lady c1525 with civilian husband. Incised slab on west wall under tower to Anne, wife of Sir Clement Heigham, figure kneeling at prie-dieu, 2 shields of arms, inscription below framed with strapwork, 1590. Chancel: C19 boarded roof supported by braced posts; 4-centred arched doorway to screen stair, north, 3 steps remaining; black letter text on east wall; Mahogany cased organ dated 1812; 14 C15 poppy heads now incorporated into chancel bench and stall ends; piscina of 2 arches across arris of south window rear arch having central round pier with deep roll mouldings to capital and base, hollow chamfers to 2 pointed arches, bar stopped jambs, C13. Large monument on chancel south wall with chest tomb dated 1593; 4-centred arch to recess with reeded pilasters to jambs capped by urns; carved spandrels with crests of horse's head to left and wyvern to right; blank inscription cartouche over arch centre with surrounding motto "Soyez sage et simple"; Heraldic shields in 3 panels of chest, below slab, separated by Ionic pilasters.

Listing NGR: TG0498736210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224128
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00244/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John D. Cucksey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].