CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373831
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373831.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:22:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Barningham
National Grid Reference:
TG 14174 33322

Details

LITTLE BARNINGHAM TG 13 SW 7/56 Church of St. Andrew 4.10.60 II*

Parish church. Medieval. Heavily restored: chancel 1878/79, nave and porch 1895/96. Rendered flint and iron conglomerate, plain tile roof with fish scale bands. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch, C19 north vestry. Tower in 3 stages: galletted knapped flint with stone dressings: embattled parapet with gargoyle; string course above and below bell stage; 3-stepped diagonal buttresses with wide C15 stone plinth; bell openings and west window, renewed 1895, of 2-cusped lights under an octofoil; part of low segmental or 4-centred arch in brick to north. South porch restored 1896; chamfered arch with roll mouldings under a hood mould, shafts lost; a cinquefoil headed light, probably C15, each side; south doorway renewed, chamfered jambs, double hollow chamfered arch under hood mould with figure stops, that to right hand side renewed. North doorway boarded over. Nave windows enlarged and renewed: south side one 3-light and one 2-light, north side one 2-light, all with panel tracery under square heads. 2 stepped side buttresses with flushwork. Chancel: knapped flint on older base; small central door; 2 C19 2-light windows; diagonal buttresses of pebble flint, C19; east gable of knapped flint; east window of 3 ogee headed lights with panel tracery. Interior: nave roof of 1895, scissor braced, very large castellated tie beams and wall plates; chancel roof of 1879 has arch braced collars; chancel arch continuous double chamfer. Slender polygonal shafts and moulded jambs to double chamfered tower arch. Plain stoup recess by south door; plain octagonal font on fat octagonal stem, C15. Medieval glass fragments in west window. Narrow ledged and battened door to tower stair. Poppy head bench ends, one incorporating a lady's head, c1470, cut down and affixed to C19 pews. One box pew, dated 1640, enlarged 1867, has cockshead hinges, premonitary inscription and finial to corner post in the form of a carved upright shrouded skeleton holding an hour glass and scythe.

Listing NGR: TG1417433322

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224076
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06412/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Diane Randell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].