THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373865
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1980
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, THE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373865.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 05:24:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Ickham and Well
National Grid Reference:
TR 21976 58249

Details

1. 5273 ICKHAM AND WELL THE STREET (north-east side)

The Old Rectory (formerly listed as the Rectory) TR 25 NW 10/428 29.9.52

II*

2. Probably this is the remaining part of the manor house belonging to the Prior of Christ Church Monastery. The south-eastern part is a C13 house with a hall on the first floor and cellar below built circa 1280. Two storeys, faced with flints with long and short ashlar quoins. Hipped tiled roof. The ground floor has one window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with stone mullions . Above is a double stone window with 2 trefoil-headed lights. The centre portion is C19 with an older core of 2 storeys red brick with tiled roof. The north-east projection is C18. Two storeys red brick. Two crow-stepped gables. Two sash windows with glazing bars intact stringcourse and cornice. To the west of the south-east part is a further portion dating from the C17-Cl8 of which the ground floor is faced with red brick and the first floor is tile hung. Simple doorcases. The interior contains a late Cl5 wooden ceiling and remains of a C16 fireplace. The floor joist to the hall may be original. The Rev Maric Casaubon, classical scholar and sons of the more famous Isaac Casauton who was Rector of Ickham from 1662 to 1671 lived here during those years and died in the house in 1671.

Listing NGR: TR2198358251

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
171253
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16404/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D Godden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].