BERRY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1374003
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Feb-1979
Statutory Address:
BERRY HALL, WESTGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374003.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2021 at 03:34:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
BERRY HALL, WESTGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Walsingham
National Grid Reference:
TF 94097 37659

Details

1. 5320 GREAT WALSINGHAM WESTGATE (South Side)

Berry Hall (formerly listed as No 6 Berry Hall) TF 9437 NW 6/6A 30.11.51.

II*

2. Built in 1532 by Thomas Bury. Flint with brick dressings. Pantile roofs, some black-glazed with parapeted gable ends, some stepped - C16 or C17 south range; 2 storeys and attic. Three windows, ground floor various casements, including 4-light ovolo-moulded mullion window with leaded panes. First floor 2-light sash with glazing bars, Venetian stair window with sash with glazing bars, and C19/20 large 5-light window. No pedimented dormers with 5-light mullion windows. At each end a chimney stack with twin octagonal shafts. Interior: early C18 staircase with moulded balusters, and room with early C17 panelling and chimneypiece. C16 wing adjoining north with 2-storeyed porch with stepped gables and double- chamfered brick 4-centred arch doorway. Interior has heavily moulded ceiling beams. Said to have been extended in C17 with stepped gable at north end, also 2 storeys and attic. East side has C18 additions, 2 gables, one rebuilt stepped gable; all sashes with glazing bars, front floor 2-light sashes; and small C17 2-light wood mullion window with dripmould.

Listing NGR: TF9409737659

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
223084
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].