Church of St. Mary and St. Luke

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1374120
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1962
Date of most recent amendment:
28-May-1987
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary and St. Luke, Church Road, Shareshill

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary and St. Luke
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374120.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:03:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary and St. Luke, Church Road, Shareshill

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
South Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Shareshill
National Grid Reference:
SJ 94437 06589

Details

SJ 90 NW 3/27

SHARESHILL C.P. CHURCH ROAD (north side) Church of St. Mary and St. Luke

(Formerly listed as Church of St Mary)

19.3.62

GV II*

Parish Church. Circa 1742 with C15/C16 west tower. Red brick with ashlar tower and dressings; plain tile roof. West tower with diagonal buttresses, five-bay nave and apsidal chancel.

West Tower. Three stages marked by strings, with a frieze of saltire crosses below a crenellated parapet with short corner finials. Above ground level and approached by a flight of brick and stone steps is a west door with fanlight, wide chamfered surround and hood mould. Pointed two-light belfry openings with trefoil head lights and central mullion extending to the soffit of the arch. On the south side, breaking through the second stage string is an C18 circular stone sundial.

Nave and chancel. Moulded stone plinth, rusticated quoins of unequal length, boldly moulded cornice, and opal parapet incorporating balustrading over the window bays on the south side. Semi-circular arched windows with panelled pilasters, moulded arches, raised keystones and bracketed sills with aprons. Bowed south porch with two pairs of Tuscan Columns, heavily moulded cornice and balustraded parapet; inside is a two-leaf, six-panel door within a semi-circular arched opening with Gibbs surround. Large Venetian east window with Ionic colonettes, raised keystone, and bracketed sills, and aprons.

Interior. Three-bay Ionic arcade between nave and chancel with semi-circular arches and raised keys. Plaster ceiling over nave with dentilled and egg and dart moulded cornice and three rectangular panels with quandrant corners; each has a centrepiece of foliage surround by shells and fleurons. Shell-like plaster dome over the apse. The east window has bracketed sills and fluted Ionic pilasters; the centre light has a raised key and the arch springs from the dentilled cornice of the side lights. Panelled west gallery on slim cast-iron columns.

Fittings. C18 communion rail with twisted and turned balusters incorporating square knots. Brass chandelier over chancel. C18 square plan panelled pulpit. Stone font of 1861. Full set of C18 box pews, and waist high wainscotting. Commandment board of 1903. Georgian royal arms.

Monuments. Recumbent effigies of Sir Humphrey Swynnerton, died 1562, and wife; they formerly adorned a chest tomb but this has gone and the effigies are split up. Tablet to Penelope died 1726 wife of Sir Henry Vernon of Hilton Park (q.v.); Corinthian aedicule flanked by cherubs, gadrooned base, segmental pediment containing cherubic heads and surmounted by the arms of the Vernons.

Listing NGR: SJ9443706589

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
271795
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1959), 179-80
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01975/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr GW Tanner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].