CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1374385
Date first listed:
17-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CROWN BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374385.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:49:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CROWN BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)
Parish:
Kidsgrove
National Grid Reference:
SJ 82566 53178

Details

KIDSGROVE C.P. CROWN BANK, Talke (west SJ 85 SW side)

5/55 Church of St. Martin 17.7.51

GV II

Parish church. 1794 with mid-C19 alterations and additions. Red brick with blue headers (Flemish bond); plain tile roof with shaped tile bands and coped verges. 4-bay nave with apsidal chancel and C19 north transept. Nave. Round headed windows with raised keys and Y-traceried glazing bars. C19 pointed west door with panelled spandrels, flanked by 2 lancet stair windows with 4-centred heads and hood moulds. Central first floor window with round head and hood mould and small gable window with round head springing from an impost band. C19 square bellcote with pyramidal lead covered roof. Chancel. Round-headed east window with raised keystone and moulded arch springing from imposts; glazing bars in a Decorated tracery pattern. Transept. Rough faced ashlar; plain tile roof with shaped tile bands and stone coped verge. Pointed north window of 3 lights with cusped heads and Decorated tracery of early C14 character; sill string stepped down to east and west. East door with moulded surround and shouldered head. Interior. West gallery with panelled rail. C18 King-post roof over the nave. Semi-circular chancel arch with pan- elled casing, flanked by a pair of console brackets, each supporting a wooden stake. Arched-braced collar roof over transept.

Listing NGR: SJ8256653178

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
273339
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/10355/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Brayford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].