CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1374541
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374541.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:28:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kynnersley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 67272 16703

Details

KYNNERSLEY Church of St Chad 1. 5362 (Formerly listed as Parish Church) SJ 61NE 23/400 18.6.59

II* GV

2. Small sandstone built church. Medieval nave has C19 restored 2 and 3-light windows with plate tracery and one straight headed window on north side. Gabled double bellcote over east end of nave. South doorway with pointed chamfered arch. Medieval chancel with early C14 windows the east window of 3-lights has reticulated tracery, and 2-light lancet north and south windows. Late C19 timbers framed gabled south porch. West tower built 1722-3, of 2 stages with covered cornice beneath the parapet and obelisk pinnacles at the corners. Round arched bell-openings, west window and south doorway. Interior: Double-chamfered chancel arch on short shafts supported on corbels. Nave roof has moulded tiebeams but above that it seems to have been replaced. Chancel roof has moulded collars, arched braces and queen struts. Simple ogee-arched piscina in south wall of chancel. Font has rough round bowl on Victorian stem. Victorian furnishings. In the churchyard some early C19 and later railed tomb chests and to south of church some C18 headstones and a table tomb.

Listing NGR: SJ6727216703

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362253
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08713/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B. A. James. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].