CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1374950
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, VICARAGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374950.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 14:14:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, VICARAGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Priors Marston
National Grid Reference:
SP 48924 57601

Details

PRIORS MARSTON VICARAGE LANE SP4857 (South side) 12/141 Church of St. Leonard 30/05/67

GV II

Church. Late C13 origins; aisle widened C14. Tower remodelled or entirely rebuilt c.1720. Nave and porch largely rebuilt 1863 and chancel rebuilt 1865 by Spragg and Joyce. Ironstone with limestone dressings: aisle of coursed rubble; nave of squared coursed rubble; chancel, vestry, and porch regular coursed; tower of ashlar. Tile roofs have ridge cresting and coped gable parapets; stone stack. Chancel, nave, north aisle, north vestry, west tower, south porch. 2-bay chancel and 5-bay nave. Chancel has splayed plinth. Diagonal and south buttresses with 2 offsets. 3-light east window has hood mould and head stops. 2 south and one north 2-light windows. Geometrical tracery throughout. North side has chimney above vestry. South porch has splayed plinth. Low angle buttresses flush with front. Doorway of 2 moulded orders. Door with Gothic open work panels and grille. Square-headed 2-light windows with stop-chamfered jambs. Inside late C13 moulded south doorway has hood mould with return stops. Ribbed and studded door with old strap hinges. Nave has angle and south buttresses with 2 offsets. Two 2-light windows east of porch, and lancet and 2-light window west of porch, all with plate tracery. Vestry has splayed plinth. Angle buttresses. East paired trefoiled lancets, and circle with cross, under segmental pointed arch. Lean-to roof. Aisle has diagonal, 2 north and west angle buttresses. Chamfered Tudor arch north doorway of c.1500 has C19 plank door. 3 late C14 two-light straight-headed Decorated north windows, partly renewed. 2-light west window has basket-arched lights. Tower of 2 stages has high splayed plinth. West angles have giant clasping Tuscan piers. String course. Round-arched south door and west window with Y-tracery and transom. Second stage has 2 small round-arched west windows. Bell-openings similar to west window. Clock faces to north and south. Cornice and parapet of 3 panels, Interior: plastered walls. Chancel has segmental -pointed rere arches. Arched braced roof with naturalistic foliage corbels. Early English style chancel arch of 3 plastered orders. Nave has 5-bay partly late C13 arcade of low, wide arches of 2 chamfered orders and octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Hammerbeam roof and scissor braces. Fittings: mid 1860's; reredos 1868. Stained glass: late C19. Monuments: north aisle: Bradshaw family 1770 etc. Neoclassical wall monument. Porch floor: brass 1688. Inscriptions to Elizabeth and Richard West (1691). (V.C.H. Warwickshire: Vol. 5 pp 140-141; Buildings of England: Warwickshire p.377).

Listing NGR: SP4892457601

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
305717
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 140-141
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 377

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05833/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].