LEEDS CIVIC THEATRE AND COLLEGE OF MUSIC

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1375225
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
LEEDS CIVIC THEATRE AND COLLEGE OF MUSIC, COOKRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEEDS CIVIC THEATRE AND COLLEGE OF MUSIC
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375225 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 16:31:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
LEEDS CIVIC THEATRE AND COLLEGE OF MUSIC, COOKRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29953 34037

Details

LEEDS

SE2934SE COOKRIDGE STREET 714-1/74/136 (East side) 19/10/51 Leeds Civic Theatre and College of Music (Formerly Listed as: COOKRIDGE STREET (East side) Leeds Institute)

GV II*

Institute of science and art, now theatre and college of music. 1865-8, with alterations to interior 1949 and 1983. By Cuthbert Brodrick. Gritstone ashlar, brick, slate roof with fish-scale slates to pavilion, cast-iron details including lamp standards; wrought-iron railings. Rectangular in plan with entrance on the long side and on a steep slope; one principal storey over a battered rusticated basement podium. Italianate and Second Empire French influence. Steps flanked by low walls with lamps, large pilasters flanking central round-arched recessed entrance with the words: 'CIVIC THEATRE'; segmental pediment over and carved tympanum with the words: 'THE LEEDS INSTITUTE', pavilion roof above. 12 segmental-headed windows with round-arched decorated tympana over and cast-iron balconies; roundels above, deep entablature and dentilled cornice, pilasters at corners and flanking entrance surmounted by urns. Left return, City of Leeds College of Music: brick with stone dressings to doorways, corner pilasters, sill bands; 2 storeys, 12 first-floor windows, steps up to double board door with overlight in pedimented surround below windows 3 and 9, 4-pane sashes throughout. Railing with bulbous finials to standards and rails. Right return: ashlar facade as main front, 12 arched windows, the high podium having a doorway below window 10. Rear: brick with stone bands, the circular roof of the lecture hall/theatre has clerestory sash windows with margin lights and a louvred ventilator with pointed finial. INTERIOR: reception area dominated by Ionic columns in antis with a central flight of stone steps up to the theatre entrance with twisted cast-iron balusters and a moulded wooden handrail; landing balustrade with scrolls and flowers; flanking straight flights down to basement area; carved stone frieze to staircase walls. Former lecture hall, now theatre: cast-iron columns support

the gallery, scrolled balustrade partly removed when proscenium arch inserted 1949, (redesigned 1983), tiled walls with flower motifs in blue/green, elaborate central ceiling ventilator with scrolls and flower bosses, restored chandelier. Basement: the lecture hall floor is supported by a massive central cast-iron column from which 15 beams radiate out to an outer circle of columns. Brodrick won the design for the Institute in 1860, the building included the central lecture hall approx 22m in diameter with seating for 1500, gallery, art studios and classrooms. By 1905 the Institute comprised Leeds Girls' Modern School, Leeds Boys' Modern School, the School of Art, Technical School, School of Music and the Commercial Evening School. They were housed in the main building and immediately E and SE of it. (Robinson's Directory of Leeds: 1905-: VIII; Leeds Mechanics' Institute Annual Report for 1901/2: 1902-; An Historical Sketch of the Leeds Institute, 1824-1900).



Listing NGR: SE2995334037

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466107
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Historical Sketch of the Leeds Institute 1824-1900
'Robinsons Directory' in Leeds, (1905), VIII
Other
Leeds Mechanics Institute Annual Report for 1901/2, (1902)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].