STANK HALL BARN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1375339
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
STANK HALL BARN, DEWSBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of STANK HALL BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 22:21:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
STANK HALL BARN, DEWSBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28535 29139

Details

LEEDS

SE22NE DEWSBURY ROAD, Beeston 714-1/13/527 (East side (off)) 19/10/51 Stank Hall Barn (Formerly Listed as: DEWSBURY ROAD, Beeston Barn immed N of Stank Hall Farmhouse & New Hall, incl Major Greathead's Chapel)

GV II*

Also known as: Major Greathead's Chapel DEWSBURY ROAD Beeston. Barn and chapel. Late C15-early C16 for the Beeston family; C17 cross wing and alterations for the Hodgson family. Millstone grit and delph-stone, timber-frame, stone slate roofs. 7 bays, wide opposing barn doors to eaves, slit vents. 2-storey cross wing at S end: 4- and 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned windows, hoodmoulds, rebuilt doorways on W side, central upper floor ogee-arched doorway, blocked, on S side, hoodmould with scrolled stops; flanking 2-light mullioned windows, restored. INTERIOR: barn has oak aisle posts, king-post roof trusses. Tree-ring analysis gives a date of 1448-1490 for the felling of the trees used in the construction of the timber frame. The cross-wing is known as Major Greathead's Chapel. The building has been extensively studied, see WYAS Report. A Scheduled Ancient Monument. (West Yorkshire Archaeology Service Historic Buildings Survey: Wrathmell S & Weldrake H: Stank Hall Barn).



Listing NGR: SE2853529139

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466234
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wrathmell, S, Weldrake, H, 'West Yorkshire Archaeology Service Historic Buildings Survey' in Stank Hall Barn, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05951/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Karran. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].