OFFICERS BARRACKS TILBURY FORT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1375568

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1998

Statutory Address: OFFICERS BARRACKS TILBURY FORT

Map

Ordnance survey map of OFFICERS BARRACKS TILBURY FORT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 04:03:49.

Location

Statutory Address: OFFICERS BARRACKS TILBURY FORT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Thurrock (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 65154 75336

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TILBURY TQ 67 NE

126-0/11/10015 Officer's barracks, Tilbury Fort

GV II*

Terrace of approx. 22 officers'houses in fort, now 7 houses and museum. 1772, by the Board of Ordnance; altered early C19. Yellow stock brick with brick ridge stacks and a steep slate hipped valley roof Mid Georgian style. PLAN: double-depth plan, possibly originally back to back. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 23-window range. Symmetrical front has brick cornice and parapet. Central keyed round-arched doorway with 6-panel door, small flanking lights, all beneath a wide ground-floor pediment, and a first-floor oculus; flat-headed doorways with bracketed canopies to panelled doors in the end bays, and paired to bays 6 and 7 from both ends. Rubbed brick flat arches to 6/6-pane sashes, half the original small 3/3-pane sashes with thick glazing bars on the first-floor have been replaced by deeper sashes as the ground floor. Rear elevation similar, with canopied doorways to the feat, third, seventh and central bays, from each end; all but the middle two windows on the first floor are original. INTERIOR: central house preserved as a museum, has a central axial dogleg stair, Ordnance Board iron grates, and original joinery. Each one originally had 2 fireplaces, the houses were knocked together as the fort was occupied with fewer officers during the nineteenth century. HISTORY: believed to have been rebuilt on the site of the late C17 officers' range, itself rebuilt in 1742, and is a good and rare example of Ordnance Board housing at this time. It is also of interest for its use of the terrace plan for providing officers' lodgings. Part of one of the finest and most complete late C17 forts in England, it is listed as a free-standing building independent from the Scheduled fortifications and attached structures. (Saunders A: Fortress Britain: Liphook: 1989-: 76; Saunders A: Tilbury Fort, English Heritage Guide: London: 1985-:12,25).



Listing NGR: TQ6515475336

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469532

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saunders, A D, Fortress Britain, (1989), 76
Saunders, A, Tilbury Fort English Heritage Guide, (1985), 12, 25

End of official listing