JUBILEE GATES, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1375642
Date first listed:
09-Jul-1998
Statutory Address:
JUBILEE GATES, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS, REGENTS PARK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375642.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2021 at 10:47:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
JUBILEE GATES, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS, REGENTS PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28155 82455

Details

TQ 2882 SW REGENT'S PARK

1900/35/10128 Jubilee Gates, Queen Mary's Gardens

II

Main, formal entrance gates to Queen Mary's Gardens from York Bridge. Dated 6th May 1935 being the day Queen Mary officially re-opened the gardens following remodelling. The gates were commissioned for the Silver jubilee of King George V and presented to the park by Sigismund Goetze. Cast and wrought iron, partly gilded, Portland stone pillars. Symmetrical design of concave plan. Central barred carriage gates are hung from an open-work acanthus leaf and scroll frame supported by fluted pillars with enriched capitals and finials. The acanthus and scroll work overthrow contains the royal cypher of George V. Similar but smaller pedestrian entrances flank the pillars and are themselves flanked by tall stone pillars having entablatures and crowned with flaming urns. Curved plan railings with pillars having torche flambe finials link the gates to similar stone pillars on the road.



Listing NGR: TQ2815582455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469616
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15476/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].