OBELISK CENOTAPH TO GEORGE MARSH, MARTYR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1375707
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Jul-1998
Statutory Address:
OBELISK CENOTAPH TO GEORGE MARSH, MARTYR, BOUGHTON

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375707.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 06:54:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
OBELISK CENOTAPH TO GEORGE MARSH, MARTYR, BOUGHTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 41749 66465

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 BOUGHTON 1932-1/6/8 (South side) 10/01/72 Obelisk cenotaph to George Marsh, martyr (Formerly Listed as: BOUGHTON Obelisk)

II

Obelisk cenotaph. 1888-98. Erected at the expense of Nessie Brown, 1888, in 1898 by Henry Stolterfoth, Mayor of Chester. Polished granite plinth and obelisk on freestone ashlar base. The north face is inscribed "TO THE MEMORY OF GEORGE MARSH MARTYR WHO WAS BURNED TO DEATH NEAR THIS SPOT FOR THE TRUTHS

SAKE APRIL 24TH 1555". The east side is inscribed "ERECTED BY NESSIE BROWN A.D. 1888". The west side is inscribed "GEORGE MARSH BORN AT DEAN COUNTY LANCASTER A.D. 1515". The south side is inscribed "HENRY STOLTERFOTH MAYOR 1898".







Listing NGR: SJ4174966465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469686
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/05827/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John L. Wishlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].