This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1375811



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469790

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ4166 FOREGATE STREET 1932-1/6/120 (North side) No.117


Shop and accommodation. 1889. By John Douglas. For the first Duke of Westminster. Converted and attached to adjoining new offices 1990 by Stananought. Ruabon red brick with stone dressings and blue brick diapering; red clay tile roof. With No.113 Foregate Street (qv), expressed as a lodge to Parker's Buildings Foregate Street (qv). The front to ground floor refaced 1990; flush sandstone bands to upper storeys; attached stone shaft to each side of central windows; the first floor has a 3-light mullioned and transomed casement with a 1-light transomed casement to each side. The second floor has a 3-light casement. Shaped front gable with moulded cornice and finial. The left side to the forecourt of No.115, Parker's Buildings, has sandstone quoins, stone-mullioned and transomed windows, 2 projecting shaped gables and 2 chimneys with detached circular spiral-moulded flues of shaped Ruabon bricks. Near the rear corner a 9-panel door on strap hinges in case dated 1889. Rear gable with projecting chimney. The right side is built against. INTERIOR not inspected. (Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 167, 258, 259).

Listing NGR: SJ4104866454

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hubbard, E, The Work of John Douglas, (2013), 167, 258-9

National Grid Reference: SJ 41048 66454


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375811 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 03:42:32.

End of official listing