CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1375936
Date first listed:
23-Jul-1998
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, SOMERSET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375936.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:29:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, SOMERSET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40741 67019

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4066 SOMERSET STREET 1932-1/6/264 Christ Church

GV II

Anglican church. 1866 to 1900. By John Douglas. Orange Ruabon brick and sandstone; grey-green slate roofs. Largely free Early English with some Decorated and Perpendicular-style features. PLAN: aisled nave, chancel, baptistry, chapel and vestries; the intended south-west steeple was not built. EXTERIOR: nave of stone-dressed brick on high flush plinth of squared snecked rubble; flush quoins. Geometrical west window of paired lights flanking broader central light. South-west porch has rectangular west window; oak double doors with lancet above; south aisle has 3 bays with paired lancets and a stone bay with single lancet and porch for priest's door; rainwater pipe and head dated 1897; pinnacled buttresses; oak door, arched. The clerestory has a cantilevered timber-framed hip-roofed bellcote over main porch; 6 pairs of lancets and a single lancet. Apsidal chapel south of chancel has 2 small lancets in west gable; rainwater head dated 1897; two traceried 2-light rectangular windows south; east end with 3-light window in C15 manner. Chancel of stone has a lancet in corner, south; east window of 3 lancets in recessed arch; dripmould on corbel heads. Organ chamber and vestries adjoin north face of chancel; diminishing stone chimney with circular flue on chancel wall; timber-framed shingle dormer on north roof-pitch. North vestry has 2 lancets; north chimney. A further vestry, roof parallel with chancel roof; triple lancets, east; 3 north windows of paired shouldered lights; oak door and triple lancets in west gable-end. North aisle of nave has small door in east bay; 3 pairs of lancets; clerestory has 9 pairs of lancets. Baptistry off west bay has roof stepped down over north apse; a rectangular 3-light panel-tracery north window; a 1-light window in each oblique face; a pair of lancets and a single lancet in west face, adjoining west end of nave. All gables have stone copings with crosses as apex-finials. The nave roof has 5 lucarnes on each slope, now blocked. INTERIOR: the 5-bay nave has chamfered arcade with no capitals; corbelled shafts carry queen post trusses with cusped braces; wood-block floor; boarded ceiling; well-detailed aisle roofs. Apsidal baptistry with font directly opposite south porch. Chancel arch with shafts on



angel corbels; wagon roof to chancel, lower than nave; encaustic tile floor. Pedestal pulpit; rood-beam, rather lightweight, 1920 by Sir Charles Nicholson; reredos and chancel fittings c1900-1910, also by Nicholson; chapel reredos by Kempe 1897 and gates probably by Nicholson; organ and case with panels painted in Pre-Raphaelite manner. Chapel windows 1897, south aisle 1901 and west window 1902 are by Kempe; baptistry 1906 by AK Nicholson; west north aisle window 1906 by Bryams.







Listing NGR: SJ4074167019

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469915
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/09358/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Naomi J. Hughes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].