BLUECOAT SCHOOL AND FORMER CHAPEL OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1375966
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Jul-1998
Statutory Address:
BLUECOAT SCHOOL AND FORMER CHAPEL OF ST JOHN BAPTIST, UPPER NORTHGATE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375966.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:19:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
BLUECOAT SCHOOL AND FORMER CHAPEL OF ST JOHN BAPTIST, UPPER NORTHGATE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40381 66701

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4066 UPPER NORTHGATE STREET 1932-1/6/275 (West side) 28/07/55 Bluecoat School and former Chapel of St John Baptist (Formerly Listed as: UPPER NORTHGATE STREET The Bluecoat School) (Formerly Listed as: UPPER NORTHGATE STREET Church of Little St John)

GV II*

Chapel, orphanage and school, now youth centre. Founded 1700 by Bishop Stratford and built 1717. Stone-dressed orange brick; hipped grey slate roof. U-shaped. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical; plinth. Central block has pedimented entrance bay with 2 bays to each side; second and fourth bays recessed. Central bay has through passage in basket-arched painted-stone Tuscan case carrying shouldered round arched niche with statue of Bluecoat boy 1854 by Edward Richardson. A basket-arched 19-pane sash in pilastered case to each side of entrance; a narrower bay to each side has door of 6 fielded panels in pilastered case with blank panel above. Second-storey floorband; blank panel to entrance bay; 2 square 6-pane sashes to each side have simple stone cases with keys. Cornice; clock in central pediment; parapet with simple stone cap. Central octagonal belfry cupola has round-arched bell-openings and copper roof. Projecting south and north wing, each with 2 basket-arched 16-pane sashes to court in ground floor and 2 square 6-pane sashes to first floor, all in cases as in central block. Front of south wing has basket-arched window to former Chapel of St John, arch breaking floorband, with 2 mullions, central glazing bar, 2 horizontal bars and impost transom; case with panelled pilasters. North wing has basement window projecting above plinth and window of 46 panes, including fanlight, in case matching that to chapel. The south face has 6 fixed lights of 16 panes with 1-pane hopper inserts; 6-pane first floor sashes above, all in cases as to the front; plinth, floorband, cornice and parapet. The north face, similar to south face, has a door and windows also to basement, facing Canal Street. The rear is simply expressed. Long, narrow area to basement has quarter-landing and 10 steps, now concrete, down to basement; access to central passage bridges area. Wrought-iron



railing to area has round knob-topped balusters on painted stone plinth. Brick reveals to passage arch with panelled imposts; keystone. The ground floor has 2 segmental-arched 12-pane flush sashes and an altered, deeper, 15-pane sash north of passage; a square bay window of 4;4;8;4;4-panes with pilaster mullions of stone; 2 segmental-arched 15-pane sashes and bay window, as to north, south of passage. Brick floorband; 11 recessed 9-pane fixed lights to second storey in segmental-arched openings; cornice parapet and plain stone coping; 2 lateral chimneys. INTERIOR: most details are removed. Recessed 2-panel shaped double gates with wrought-iron spikes in central through-passage. Cellars at rear with some barrel and groined vaulting in brick. A few doors of 6 fielded or 6 plain panels. A dogleg oak stair at junctions of south and north wing with central wing, with turned newels, stick balusters and oak rails. One or 2 rooms have cornices. The former Chapel of St John Baptist is stripped of features and sub-divided.



Listing NGR: SJ4038166701

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469945
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06867/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John L. Wishlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].