CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1376012

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1996

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, WHITWICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 04:59:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, WHITWICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)

Parish: Markfield

National Grid Reference: SK4829912886

Details

SK 41 SE MARKFIELD WHITWICK ROAD (east side,(off), Copt Oak 1/10006 CHURCH OF ST PETER

II

Church. 1836-37, extended 1889. By William Railton, with extension by Ewan Christian. Charnwood granite with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables and cross finials. Chamfered plinth, and cill band. Nave with chancel and west tower. Angle buttresses. Tower has pointed arch doorway to west with double plank doors and iron hinges, above a pair of tall lancets and a then a small round opening with quatrefoil tracery, south face has a single lancet with a pair of very narrow lancets above. North face has projecting stair turret with shouldered arch doorway. Top stage has 3 lancet bell openings, the central one slightly broader, to each face. Above plain parapets and simple corner pinnacles. Nave has 5 lancet windows on each side with buttresses between. Chancel south front has pointed arched priest's door flanked by single small lancets. East end has a single 3-light pointed arch window with plate tracery. Chancel north front has projecting gabled organ chamber with a single lancet to west, and chancel has single small lancet. INTERIOR has fine wooden single hammer beam roof, double chamfered chancel and tower arches. Minton tile chancel, with carved alabaster reredos. Fittings include brass and wood altar rail, carved wooden choir stalls and pews. Carved wooden octagonal pulpit.



Listing NGR: SK4831812453

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469998

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing