NUMBER 11 AND ATTACHED WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1376029
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Aug-1998
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 11 AND ATTACHED WALLS, 11, ABBEY SQUARE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376029.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 16:50:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 11 AND ATTACHED WALLS, 11, ABBEY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40532 66563

Details

CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4066NE ABBEY SQUARE 595-1/2/13 (North side) 28/07/55 No.11 and attached walls (Formerly Listed as: ABBEY SQUARE (North side) Nos.7-11 (Consecutive))

GV II*

Town house, now Church of England Retreat House. c1760, a little later than Nos 7-10 (qv). The house was developed on a lease, probably of 40 years, from the Dean and Chapter of Chester Cathedral. Flemish bond orange brick with grey slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellar. Painted stone plinth; boot-scraper by 4 apron steps of stone to door of 4 fielded panels above a large panel incised with St Andrew's cross in case of painted stone with eared architrave flanked by panelled pilasters carrying pediment on acanthus consoles; PAX HUIC DOMUI; SIT PAX INTROEUNTI; SIT IN HAC HABITANTI; SIT ET EUNTI PAX is painted on the frieze, and on the pediment the Diocesan arms dated 1925. Boarded door to basement, east, under rusticated wedge lintel with false keystone; first-storey sillband; rusticated quoins to the east corner. The first storey has 2 recessed 12-pane sashes west of the door and one crowded between entrance and basement door; the second storey has 2 tripartite sashes of 4;12;4 panes, inserted; the third storey has 3 recessed 6-pane sashes in square openings; the first and second storeys have painted stone sillbands and the third storey has painted stone sills; all have plain wedge lintels. Painted stone cornice beneath brick parapet with plain stone coping. The rear with a semicircular bow has 3 recessed sashes per storey, all unequal, of 15 panes to first and second storeys and 9 panes to the third storey; second and third storey sillbands of painted stone; plain wedge lintels; hipped roof. INTERIOR: the interior could not be inspected fully, but features are noted to be intact. The hall has a panelled embrasure with shutters. The open-well open-string stair in Chinese style is similarly detailed to that in No.7 (qv) with 'Chinese Chippendale' balustrade, shaped brackets, curtail step with rose, swept rail, bolection panels to stairwell, probably of plaster, and a domed lantern. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the damaged rear garden wall is of



coursed sandstone. (Burne RVH: Chester Cathedral: London: 1958-: 218-21).



Listing NGR: SJ4053266566

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470015
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burne, R V H, Chester Cathedral, (1958), 218-21

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12709/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].