CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376159
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1998
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, IPING LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376159.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:01:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, IPING LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
Stedham with Iping
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 85235 22977

Details

SU 82 SE STEDHAM WITH IPING IPING LANE (West side), Iping 1899/11/10017 CHURCH OF ST MARY

II

Church. 1840 by Thomas Greenshields but heavily rebuilt by Loftus Brock in 1885 with south porch dated 1885 in gable. Most of the west tower is of the earlier period, and much of the wall fabric and lancet windows appears to be of the earlier building, the rest rebuilt. Gothic style. Built of Hythe sandstone with tiled roof. Comprises 4 bay nave with north and south aisles, south porch, lower chancel with vestry and west tower. Tower of three stages with offset buttresses. Top or bell stage has paired lancets with wooden louvres and machicolated parapet. First and second stages have lancets and arched doorcase. South aisle has one lancet with dripmould and two paired trefoil-headed windows with floriate corbel and buttress. Gabled south porch flanked by chamfered buttresses with steep triangular gables. North aisle has four lancets with dripmoulds. Lower chancel of one bay with lancet windows and triple lancet west window. Series of chamfered buttresses with steep triangular gables. Vestry of c1840 with one lancet window and later C19 buttress. Interior has nave with c1885 roof with two tiers of purlins and collar beam, pews and balustered wooden chancel railings. Norman style circular font. North aisle has fine wall tablet of c1772 to Peter Betesworth of three colours of marble with urns, paterae and lions feet. South aisle has wall tablet of c1780 to Lucy Piggott with urn on grey marble background. Wooden commemorative tablet in south porch refers to the building of the 1840 church. Source: Pevsner BOE Sussex p250.





Listing NGR: SU8523522977

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470153
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965), 250

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15640/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eric Skipper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].