PART OF CITY WALL FROM BRIDGEGATE TO COUNTY HALL (NOT INCLUDED)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1376173
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Aug-1998
Statutory Address:
PART OF CITY WALL FROM BRIDGEGATE TO COUNTY HALL (NOT INCLUDED), CITY WALLS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376173.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:22:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
PART OF CITY WALL FROM BRIDGEGATE TO COUNTY HALL (NOT INCLUDED), CITY WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40653 65815

Details

CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4065NE CITY WALLS 595-1/6/128 Part of City Wall from Bridgegate to 28/07/55 County Hall (not included) (Formerly Listed as: City Walls & Towers incl. foundations of SE angle Roman Fortress wall & tower)

GV II*

A length of wall approx 70m long carrying the wall walk from the Bridgegate (qv) down to pavement level south-east of County Hall (not included). Late C11 to early C12; converted to a raised promenade 1702-8, altered on demolition of the former fortified gateway and C17 water-supply tower for the building of the present Bridgegate; 1781 by Joseph Turner for the City Corporation and realigned 1830s by the Council of the County Palatine of Chester for improvement of land adjoining the County Gaol. Coursed red sandstone, simply detailed. (Bartholomew City Guides: Collens J: Chester City: 1979-: 134).







Listing NGR: SJ4065365815

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470167
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harris, B, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in Chester, (1979), 134

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09243/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Naomi J. Hughes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].