SYNAGOGUE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376196
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1998
Statutory Address:
SYNAGOGUE, LEAMINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SYNAGOGUE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 01:34:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
SYNAGOGUE, LEAMINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Blackpool (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD3144736249

Details

SD 33 NW 44/2/10022

BLACKPOOL LEAMINGTON ROAD Synagogue

GV II

Synagogue. Main block of 1916-26; dated and inscribed to front: 'BLACKPOOL UNITED / HEBREW SYNAGOGUE / 5676 ERECTED 1926'; with additions and alterations of 1955 and 1976, including range to right. Architect, Alderman R.B. Mather, J.P. Red brick with ashlar dressings, pantile and lead roofs. Main range: the gable end is to the front and has a round-arched, coped, low parapet behind which rises a small octagonal dome. PLAN: main range a single tall storey, articulated externally as 2 storeys, 3 bays, with 2-lower-storey entrance range to right. Main range in Byzantine style. Full-height pilaster strips off-set to angles, with pilaster strips between upper stage windows which rise from central lower-stage breakforward; all pilasters rise above parapet; similar pilasters to lower-stage breakforward and with continuous chequerboard band between stages. Windows: upper stage has outer round-arched windows in quoined surrounds with voussoirs to head and keystones; central 3-light mullion and transom windows, the upper lights are circular, in straight-headed surround with frieze and cornice; plaque above. Lower stage: outer 3-light windows; 3 central blind openings to breakforward. Further range to right with central entrance: double, glazed doors, and with casement window to upper stage. Left return: 7 bays originally, with 3-bay extension. Similar pilaster strips to 5 bays and windows to 6 bays: mainly round-arched thermal windows with keystones to upper stage, those 2 to left are straight-headed, 3-light windows then a simplified Venetian window with arch over and cornice; otherwise casements. To lower stage are 2- and 3-light straight-headed windows each with frieze and cornice. Entrance to end bay of original range: double doors. GLASS: good stained glass throughout with scenes from the Torah.

INTERIOR: Barrel vaulted roof with chamfered ribs. Balcony to three sides with panelled balustrade surmounted by open x-work. Pews remain to ground floor and balcony. Mahogany panelling to front wall has open pediment on Ionic columns, with Doric columns to inner round arched niche. Octagonal reading desk. Further central reading desk introduced c1960s.

Forms a good group with The Old Grammar School, Raikes Parade (qv).

Listing NGR: SD3144736249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470190
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01659/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G M Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].