EQUESTRIAN STATUE OF STAPLETON COTTON VISCOUNT COMBERMERE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1376255

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Aug-1998

Statutory Address: EQUESTRIAN STATUE OF STAPLETON COTTON VISCOUNT COMBERMERE, GROSVENOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of EQUESTRIAN STATUE OF STAPLETON COTTON VISCOUNT COMBERMERE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376255 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 16:44:32.

Location

Statutory Address: EQUESTRIAN STATUE OF STAPLETON COTTON VISCOUNT COMBERMERE, GROSVENOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 40386 65865

Details

CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4065NW GROSVENOR ROAD 595-1/5/194 Equestrian statue of Stapleton 10/01/72 Cotton Viscount Combermere (Formerly Listed as: GROSVENOR ROAD Statue of Stapleton Cotton, Viscount Combermere, on a plinth)

GV II*

Cenotaph equestrian statue and plinth of Stapleton Cotton Viscount Combermere. 1865. By Baron C Marochetti. Bronze statue on granite plinth. The Viscount in field marshal's uniform on horse at rest but alert with one hoof raised. The south-west end of the plinth is inscribed ERECTED IN HONOUR OF STAPLETON COTTON VISCOUNT COMBERMERE FIELD MARSHAL and the north east end BORN. 1773. DIED. 1865. The south east side is inscribed FLANDERS. LINCELLES. THE DOURO. TALAVERA. TORRES VEDRAS, BUSAGO. VILLA GARCIA. LLERENA. CASTRAJON. CUIDAD RODRIGO. ELBODON. THE PYRENEES. ORTHES. TOULOUSE and the north west side CAPE OF GOOD HOPE. MALLAVELLY. SERINGAPATAM. WEST INDIES. BHURTPORE HISTORICAL NOTE: Thomas Gould, a soldier who shared with Field Marshal Viscount Combermere the fields of Busaco, Cuidad, Rodrigo, the Pyrenees and Toulouse is buried in the former graveyard of St Bridget's Church, now a grassed roundabout island 70m north-east of Viscount Combermere's cenotaph; see Nicholas Street (qv).







Listing NGR: SJ4038665865

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 470249

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing