LICENSED VICTUALLERS BENEVOLENT INSTITUTION (CAROLINE GARDENS)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376539
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1962
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Sep-1998
Statutory Address:
LICENSED VICTUALLERS BENEVOLENT INSTITUTION (CAROLINE GARDENS), 101-110, ASYLUM ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376539.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 03:55:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
LICENSED VICTUALLERS BENEVOLENT INSTITUTION (CAROLINE GARDENS), 101-110, ASYLUM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34755 77457

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3477SE ASYLUM ROAD 636-1/40/18 (West side) 28/02/62 Licensed Victuallers' Benevolent Institution (Caroline Gardens) Nos.101-110 (Formerly Listed as: ASYLUM ROAD North Range of Licensed Victuallers' Benevolent Institution (Nos 101-110)

GV II

North range of Caroline Gardens, a complex of former almshouses. 1866. By Henry Rose. Stock brick with stucco cornice, plain blocking course and angle pilasters. 5 houses to each side of range, 2 storeys, 3 bays each. Double doors in plain reveals with oblong overlights. Gauged, cambered brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars. Stucco string course above 1st floor. Foundation stone: "This foundation stone of the Smalley Wing was laid by Prince Alfred Ernest Albert, Duke of Edinburgh, KG and C on the 30th day of November 1866", followed by a long list of officers of the Company. INTERIOR: not inspected. Nos 101-110 Caroline Gardens form part of a huge complex consisting of double U-shaped ranges around central garden with wide court in between.







Listing NGR: TQ3475577457

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470542
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/07255/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].