CARDINALS WHARF, AND RAILINGS AT DOOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376548
Date first listed:
02-Mar-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Sep-1998
Statutory Address:
CARDINALS WHARF, AND RAILINGS AT DOOR, 49, BANKSIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARDINALS WHARF, AND RAILINGS AT DOOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376548 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 16:58:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CARDINALS WHARF, AND RAILINGS AT DOOR, 49, BANKSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32118 80520

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3280 BANKSIDE 636-1/2/26 (South side) 02/03/50 No.49 Cardinal's Wharf, and railings at door (Formerly Listed as: BANKSIDE No.49 Cardinal's Wharf)

II

House. Late C17 or early C18 with earlier C19 alterations. Stucco front with high tiled roof with dormer behind parapet. 3 storeys and attic, 2 bays. Door to right with decorative square-headed light, moulded stucco architrave, and cornice on consoles with male and female coats of arms and crown above. Sash windows with glazing bars in moulded stucco architraves to all floors, those at ground and 1st floors with console bracketed cornices, and ground window with ornate wrought-iron grille. Plaque: "Here lived Sir Christopher Wren during the building of St Paul's Cathedral. Here also in 1502 Catherine Infanta of Castille and Aragon, afterwards first Queen of Henry VIII, took shelter on her first landing in London". INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: short wrought-iron railing to right of door. There is no historical evidence to support the legend on the plaque, though a previous building on the site may have been referred to.









Listing NGR: TQ3211880520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470551
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03251/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].