MILLBANK BARRACKS SOUTH WEST RANGE, ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376571
Date first listed:
24-Sep-1998
Statutory Address:
MILLBANK BARRACKS SOUTH WEST RANGE, ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL COLLEGE, ATTERBURY STREET
Statutory Address:
MILLBANK BARRACKS SOUTH WEST RANGE, ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL COLLEGE, JOHN ISLIP STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376571.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 03:32:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILLBANK BARRACKS SOUTH WEST RANGE, ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL COLLEGE, ATTERBURY STREET
Statutory Address:
MILLBANK BARRACKS SOUTH WEST RANGE, ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL COLLEGE, JOHN ISLIP STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29998 78449

Details

TQ 3078 SW JOHN ISLIP STREET

1900/111/10199 Millbank Barracks SW range, Royal Army Medical College

GV II

Barrack block. c1898, by the Royal Engineers for the Royal Army Medical Corps. Red brick with Portland stone quoins and dressings; gabled slate roof with tall brick stacks, mostly grouped along rear elevation. Rectangular plan. 4-storey NE elevation, with windows articulated into 2:3:3:3:2 pattern by 2-window projecting and pedimented outer and 3-window central wings each of 1-window depth. Plat band to stone ground floor, with arched ground-floor windows brought forward under balustrade and segmental-pedimented Doric doorcase to centre. The central block has keyed oculi (with clock to centre) above first-floor windows, and royal arms in typanum of pediment. Canted stair projections flank central wing: 8/12-pane sashes, set in Gibbs surrounds to first floor (pedimented to projecting bays and with cornices to other bays) and stone surrounds to other floors. Similar treatment to return elevations, with stacks surmounting open-pedimented and slightly-projecting central bays. Pedimented end bays flank rear elevations with similar windows, articulated into bays by strong treatment of lateral stacks. This block is flanked by single-storey ranges to either side, including a brick former guardhouse to right (with glazing bar sashes to single-storey and taller hipped range adjacent to entrance from John Islip Street) and a stone-faced former mess block to left with pedimented left-hand return and principal 4-bay front with casement windows and two doorways set into arcade with impost blocks and cornice exteding through to rendered projection on right. Interior: not inspected. HISTORY: The married quarters and barrack blocks serve to enclose the north-facing parade ground or square. Drawings for the married quarters (qv) were signed by CM Watson, the Inspector General of Fortifications, in 1898: it is probable, although not proven, that both barracks blocks were built to provide accommodation linked also to the Queen Alexandra Military Hospital (opened 1905), which was built on the north part of the huge Millbank Penitentiary Site. These are clearly related to barracks architecture in their planning but more elaborate both in their articulation and architectural quality than any other contemporary designs with the exception of the remarkable Peninsula Barracks in Winchester. They are principally included for their architectural quality and interest as part of this important group.













Listing NGR: TQ2999878449

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470575
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/16321/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].