SOUTHERN ABUTMENT TO FORMER WEST BLACKFRIARS AND ST PAULS RAIL BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376596
Date first listed:
24-Aug-1995
Statutory Address:
SOUTHERN ABUTMENT TO FORMER WEST BLACKFRIARS AND ST PAULS RAILS BRIDGE, BLACKFRIARS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTHERN ABUTMENT TO FORMER WEST BLACKFRIARS AND ST PAULS RAIL BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376596 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 10:21:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTHERN ABUTMENT TO FORMER WEST BLACKFRIARS AND ST PAULS RAILS BRIDGE, BLACKFRIARS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ3169980554

Details

TQ3180 636-1/1/874 24/08/95

SOUTHWARK BLACKFRIARS ROAD Southern abutment to former West Blackfriars and St Paul's Rail Bridge GV II

Abutment. 1862-64. By Joseph Cubitt. For the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Company. Abutments of stone faced with Portland stone from Charles Labelye's Westminster Bridge of 1738-49. HISTORICAL NOTE: built for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Company to support the line on the Beckenham to Ludgate Hill route. As the bridge was to form part of the company's Blackfriars Station it was given good cast-iron ornament; the large shields flanking the way on the Southwark side bear the company's crest and title in full. These were restored c1990. The abutment to the south shore falls within the London Borough of Southwark. Joseph Cubitt designed Blackfriars Road Bridge to the west (see City of London), and with it this forms a group.

Listing NGR: TQ3169980554

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470601
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04556/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].