CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1376651
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376651.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:51:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Old
National Grid Reference:
SP 78545 73120

Details

OLD CHURCH LANE SP77SE (South side) 10/168 Church of St. Andrew 02/11/54

- I

Church. C13 and C14 with C19 alterations. Squared coursed lias with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave with south aisle, chancel with north and south projections and west tower. Chancel of one-window range of 2-light C19 windows to north and south and similar 4-light east window with decorated tracery. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and kneelers. Vestry organ chambers to north and south at right angles to chancel have C19 two-light windows, gabled roofs with ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finilas. South aisle of 4-window range of late C13, two-light windows. Second window from left is 2-light square headed with south door adjacent which has single chamfered arch with shafts. Late C13 two-light west window. Gabled roof has ashlar parapets and finial to west gable. South nave clerestory of 5-window range of 2-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads. North elevation of nave of 2-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads. 4-window range of clerestory windows similar to south side. Nave has gabled roof with ashlar parapets. North porch between window range is gabled, with simple pointed chamfered arch. Small 2-light square head windows to east and west walls of porch. North entrance to church has fine Perpendicular surround, 4-centred arch head with leaf spandrels. Flanking buttresses with pinnacles, and 10 fleuron motifs along the hood mould. West tower of 4 stages has 3-stage clasped buttresses to lower 3 stages. West door has 3-light Perpendicular window above. Each face of fourth stage has part of 2-light Perpendicular bell chamber openings with transoms. Quatrefoil frieze above with castellated parapet and gargoyles at corners. Interior: Chancel has C19 arches to vestry and organ chamber, C19 barrel roof to chancel. Perpendicular chancel arch has 3 shafted clusters with hollows between. 4-bay south arcade of Perpendicular double chamfered arches having piers with 4 shafts and 4 hollows. Triple chamfered tower arch, C19 arch from south aisle to organ chamber. Shallow pitch nave roof has moulded tie beams proabably C15. Angel corbels with shields. Stained glass in lower south aisle window has fragments of medieval glass, one showing man with devil on his back is c,1520. Original plank door and lock to north. Monuments, latin inscription dated 1606 under arch to left of alter, probably reset in C19. C19 sedilia to right of altar, 2 niches in south wall one has diamond decoration to soffit and short shafts. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.360).

Listing NGR: SP7854573120

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360421
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 360

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10232/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].