Dolphin House and attached outbuildings and wall

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376770
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1998
Statutory Address:
Dolphin House, Dolphin, Tresco, Isles of Scilly, TR24 0QD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376770.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 04:51:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
Dolphin House, Dolphin, Tresco, Isles of Scilly, TR24 0QD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isles of Scilly (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tresco
National Grid Reference:
SV 89093 15352

Details

SV 81 NE 1358/1/10002

TRESCO DOLPHIN TOWN Dolphin House and attached outbuildings and wall II House. 1799. Coursed and squared granite, with ashlar front; hipped dry slate roof with symmetrical end stacks finished in brick. Double-depth plan with rear extension and outbuildings.

Two storeys with attic; symmetrical front, three windows across at first floor. Flat arches with voussoirs over late C19 replacement sashes, with paired 2/2-pane sashes to ground floor and tripartite sashes flanking 3/3-pane sash to ground floor. Hipped roof dormers with horned 2/2-pane sashes. Mid C19 front porch with 'picturesque' effect masonry. Original half-glazed six-panel door with decorative fanlight. Granite lintels over sashes to rear. Later small two-storey rendered addition to rear. Extension to east, of painted roughly coursed granite, incorporated into main house as dining room. Sundial, dated 1800, fixed to east-facing wall of house.

INTERIOR: has retained panelled shutters and doors, including six-panelled door to rear rooms with decorative fanlight.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: boundary wall with pyramidal gatepiers extends along the lane for approximately 50 metres.

Built as a Missionary House for the S.P.C.K., who had been involved in educational and religious activities on the islands since the mid C18. It was built on Town Hill Field in 1799, on land leased from the Duke of Leeds. The building cost £400 plus £200 on fixtures and fittings.

A complete Late Georgian house, which also has significance within the context of the historical development of the Isles of Scilly.

Listing NGR: SV8909315352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469056
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].