RAILWAY BRIDGE IN HAIGH HALL PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376802
Date first listed:
20-Jan-1998
Statutory Address:
RAILWAY BRIDGE IN HAIGH HALL PARK, HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAILWAY BRIDGE IN HAIGH HALL PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376802 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 02:49:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAILWAY BRIDGE IN HAIGH HALL PARK, HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Haigh
National Grid Reference:
SD 59068 07432

Details

SD 50 NE 1484/5/10011

HAIGH HALL LANE (south side - off) Railway bridge in Haigh Hall Park

II Railway bridge. 1883-84 by Charles Badlock over the Whelley Loop Line. Pinkish-red brick with ashlar facings to abutments and ashlar plinths, cast-iron undercarriage and balustrade. Three straight-headed arches. Undercarriage has 13 girders. Abutments are faced with pilasters with frieze and moulded modillion cornices; these are surmounted by plinths with chamfered base, cavetto- and roll- moulding and pyramidal caps, between stretches of balustrade. The balustrade is approximately 30 metres in length has round-arched arcade on columns with scalloped base; chamfered copings. The ends of the balustrade are curved on section with end plinths. All plinths have moulded cornices and blocking courses.

This bridge is sited within Haigh Hall park, which was formerly included in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens at grade II, it was removed from the Register on the 30th of September 1999.

Listing NGR: SD5906807432

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469020
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/15308/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].