CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1377190
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377190.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:19:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Bawdsey
National Grid Reference:
TM 34662 40116

Details

BAWDSEY THE STREET TM 34 SW (West Side) 10/21 16/3/66 Church of St Mary G.V. II* Church. C14 greatly rebuilt after 1842 when the church was largely burnt during the letting off of fireworks from the tower on 5th November. Flint rubble with brick and ashlar dressings, brick, slate roof. West tower, nave. Tower: originally of 90 feet in height, now reduced to 60. West face: deep diagonal buttresses which rise to the full height of the shortened tower. Central doorway to ground floor with moulded ashlar surround, now much weathered, double-chamfered with hood mould and voussoirs of mediaeval brick. Stone band above on which rests a 3-light window with interlaced tracery with cinquefoil heads and daggers above. Further band at the level of the second buttress offset on which rests a single-light window, now louvred, with cinquefoil head and hood mould. Battlemented parapet. South face: blank to lower body but with similar louvred opening. The right hand buttress has been strengthened with C19 brickwork. North face: similar save for the canted staircase turret at left. East face: abutts the nave to its lower body. The height and pitch of the former nave roof can be seen marked in the wall. Sanctus window opening with ashlar surround, now louvred and serving as a belfry opening. Nave: before 1842 the church extended further eastwards, after that date both nave and chancel were combined within the body of the old nave which was reduced in width so that the old aisle arcades now form the framework for the new external walls of the building. These arcades appear externally and are of 4 arches with central octagonal and lateral circular pillars. The infill is a mixture of flint rubble and brick with brickwork to either side of the piers and to the top of the wall. South face: C19 windows of Y-tracery to the 2 central arches. Re-set doorway to the left arch with moulded surround, itself now blocked and partially rendered. North face: similar save for the absence of the blocked doorway. East face: shoring buttress to left of brick and buttress at right and a low central buttress below window which is of two C19 Perpendicular lights with cinquefoil heads and plate tracery.

Interior: tower arch with chamfered sides and C19 plastered 4-centred arch. Font with baluster stem above 2 steps and bearing a semi-spherical bowl.

SOURCES: Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, 1975 H Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches, 1982 East Suffolk Illustrated

Listing NGR: TM3466240116

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
285384
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barker, H R, East Suffolk Illustrated, (1909)
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14978/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].