Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377393.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:54:07.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 23895 58532


MONEWDEN CHURCH ROAD TM 25 NW (North side) 4/94 16/3/66 Church of St Mary - II*

Church. Some Cll or C12 fragments. C.1300 with C15 additions. Rubble and knapped flint, rendered with ashlar dressings. Brick and plain tile roof. Nave, chancel, west tower and south-western porch. Tower: west front: slightly projecting plinth with arcade of trefoil-headed flushwork panels to the upper body. Diagonal buttresses which have flushwork to their outer faces and die back via 3 offsets. Central doorway with richly-moulded ashlar surround and wave and bird-beak moulding. Shields to the spandrels. Two-light window above this with trefoil heads to the lights. Cusped lancet above this and a 2-light belfry opening with a band at the level of its sill and trefoil heads and dagger to apex. String course below the battlemented parapet which has panels of flushwork tracery. North face: blank to lower body but with a similar belfry opening. South face: similar to north face save that it has a projecting canted staircase bay at right with ashlar quoins. East face: abutts the nave body and a drip mould shows the nave roof to have been higher or thatched. Similar belfry opening. Nave: south face: projecting brick porch to left of centre of C15 date with diaper work to the south face at either side of a central moulded arch and 3 trefoil-headed niches to the gable resting on a brick ledge. To either flank are pointed windows, now containing C20 lights but originally with ashlar surrounds of 2-lights with trefoil heads, one of which still shows. To left of this and set in rendered walling is a 2-light Perpendicular window with cinquefoil heads and to right of this is a lancet window and a Perpendicular window with ogee trefoil heads to the lights. Shoring buttress to right again and diagonal buttress to far left. North face: diagonal buttress at far right. Shoring buttresses of brick to right of centre and far left. To right of centre a blocked doorway with chamfered surround and a hoodmould. To left a lancet window and 2-light Perpendicular window with ogee heads to the lights. Chancel: North face: a Perpendicular window with rendered surround at left. South face: 2-light Y-tracery window of c.1300 at left and at right of it a chamfered priest's door and at left a Perpendicular window with ogee heads to the lights. East face: window of c.1300 with interlacing tracery. Interior: porch: crown post roof of 2 bays. Short wall posts with arched braces connecting to a cambered tie-beam. Octagonal crown post with moulded base and capital and axial and lateral angle braces. Collar, collar purlin and common rafters. Nave has C19 roofing. Octagonal font with suspended shields in the recessed panels of the bowl. Octagonal stem with blind tracery. Eleven benches to the nave either wholly or partially of mediaeval date with poppyhead decoration. Rood staircase with both openings.

Sources: Nikolaus Pevsner, Buildings of England: Suffolk, 1975 H Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches, 1982

Listing NGR: TM2389558532


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10891/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].