Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377490.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:35:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Surrey Heath (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 97380 61797



5/68 Church of St. Lawrence 28/2/55


Church. C12 with C15 south aisle and C16 west porch; restored and north aisle added in 1866 by Benjamin Ferrey, chancel and south transept added in 1898. Heathstone tower, puddingstone and heathstone chequer work to south aisle with puddingstone cladding and heathstone quoining to chancel: brick extensions to north east and timber framed porch to west. Plain tiled roofs sweeping down over south aisle with Horsham slab eaves courses, lead spike over tower with ribbed chevron decoration and metal weathervane finial. Aisled nave with transept to south, tower and porch to west, chancel with extensions to north on east end. Buttressed two stage tower with stair turret to south east angle, battlemented parapet and 2 light round arched openings to top stage containing a clock on all faces. Gabled porch to west face of tower with pointed arched entrance and scalloped bargeboards. C15 stone dressed 3-light windows to south aisle, remainder C19, with plate-tracery to north chancel chapel windows. West door in arched stone surround, doubled,planked and studded doors with strapwork hinges. Further studded and arched door to south.

Interior:- Stone floor, 4 bay nave arcades, that to the south C12. West bay with very heavy square pillars, circular piers to remaining bays carrying multi- scalloped capitals, supporting pointed arches with slight chamfer. C19 coupled column arcade to north with foliage capitals. Crown post roofs with decorated wall plates and panelled ceilings. C19 chancel arch on scalloped corbels. 3 bay chancel with scissor brace type roof construction. Unique south aisle roof with corbels supporting detached posts with arches from the posts to the roof rafters.; wind-braces between wall plate and purlin.

Fittings:- Mainly C20. C17 wood font, one of 3 survivals in Surrey. Panelled octagonal bowl on stone stem and plinth with Acorn finial to font cover. C20 War memorial screen across west end.

Monuments:- South chancel wall - Dedicated to Anthony Thomas. 1723. Grey veined marble gadrooned top with cartouche and winged skulls. Apron and cherubs heads below. North chancel wall:- Dedicated to Sir William Abdy. Died 1803. Polychrome marble tablet with pyramid over square, inscription plate and fluted flanking pilasters. Monument dedicated to Mrs. Bainbridge. Died 1827. Tablet with mourning woman. Monument to Thomas Bainbridge.Died 1853. By H. Hopper.

PEVSNER:- Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp. 157-8 A. CLIFTON TAYLOR & A.S. IRESON : English Stone Building (1983) pp. 34-5 i11. 17 & 18.

V.C.H. - SURREY. Vol. III p.414.

Listing NGR: SU9738061797

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Clifton Taylor, A, Ireson, A S , English Stone Building, (1983), 34-35
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 414
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 157-8
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01944/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Hoyle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].