CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1377549
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Apr-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377549.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:35:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Tandridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Horne
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33685 44349

Details

TQ 34SW HORNE C.P. CHURCH ROAD

8/131 Church of St Mary the Virgin 11/6/58 (formerly listed as Church of St Mary) II*

Church. C14, restored and vestry added in 1880 by Gordon M. Hills. Rubblestone, coursed on south-west, west and south porch, rendered with angle quoins to chancel. Plain tiled roof with some courses of Horsham slabs at eaves height on chancel; shingled bellcote and broach spire with iron finial. Nave with aisle to north, porch to south bell-cote to west and chancel with vestry to east. One C14 window on south side of nave and two square headed Perpendicular style windows in deep reveals. Remainder restored or replica. Gabled porch to south with timber framed walls and leaded windows C19 door inside moulded stone surround.

Interior: Tiled floor, four bay north aisle arcade on round piers with moulded capitals and corbelled arches. Open timber roof with billeted wall plate. 3 tie beams the one to west braced with further posts above for the bell-cote. C19 chancel arch to two bay chancel.

Fittings: Late C19 panelled and arcaded pulpit. Perpendicular style rood screen now across west end with narrow trefoil head bays. Octagonal stone font with decorated panels on short stem.

Monuments: North chancel wall. Kneeler type monument to John Goowine. Died 1618. Painted wood in imitation of stone with strapwork crest to centre of top Coat of Arms. Obelisks crowned by sphere and spike finials flanking. Double arches below with central pendant, kneeling figures facing each other across desk in the arches. Inscription plate below. Considerable amounts of the original colouring remain.

North wall - Monument to Ralph Hope. Died 1681. Black stone panel, veined marble surround with crowning broken pediment with rosette ends flanking central Coat of Arms cartouche. Lugged surround to inscription panel with flanking scrolls, cherubs heads to base. Further inscription panel placed on top to John and Sarah Seale. Died 1777 with rosette decoration to corners and brackets below.

Listing NGR: TQ3368544349

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287371
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02649/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Manekshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].